Safe Celebrations Guide
We want everyone to enjoy a safe Territory Day, so please keep in mind that, while fireworks are fun, they can be dangerous. Take care when using them by following these safety tips.
• You can only buy fireworks between 9am and 9pm on Thursday, 1 July 2021.
• You can only buy fireworks from an approved retailer.
• You can only light fireworks between 6pm and 11pm on Thursday, 1 July 2021. See here.
• Clear the area of all dry material such as grass and mulch.
• Have a bucket of sand, and a hose or a couple of buckets of water handy.
• Wear cotton clothing around fireworks.
• Keep your fireworks in a covered container.
- Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
- Supervise children at all times around fireworks.
- Never give fireworks to children under 12 years of age, or sparklers to a child under five.
- Light only one firework at a time
- Keep spectators at a safe distance, at least 10m away.
- Stabilise fireworks in a bucket of sand to ensure they do not fall over when firing.
- Never point, hold or throw lit fireworks, or place any part of your body directly over a firework.
- Hold sparklers well away from your body and clothing. Light only one sparkler at a time and do not use a lit sparkler to light another one.
- Never pick up or relight a dud firework. Wait 20 minutes, pour water on it and dispose of properly.
- Never light fireworks near or below trees, or near a building or anything else they could hit.
- Wet down all fireworks debris after use.
- Don’t drink alcohol before lighting fireworks.
- Private fireworks are not permitted at Territory Day community events.
- Keep pets indoors or in an area where they cannot escape.
- Close windows and doors, and turn on the television or radio.
- Give your pet plenty of water as they may become thirsty when stressed.
- Do not take your pet with you to fireworks displays.
- Ensure your pet is registered.